Parrots/african grey bitting

I recently got a male 8 year old TAG (only 3 weeks ago), he is starting to bite me pretty severely. most often this is when he is by his cage (he does not like his cage) or if he is not on my hand. I do not let him on my shoulder, I have been trying to avoid situations that would invite a bite. The last two bites broke the skin and I had to shake him off of me, the very
last one I tried using a dowel to get him out of his cage, he was bitting the dowel very hard but eventually got on it. I then tried to offer a treat and he latched on to my hand hard enough to break the skin, he also held on and I had to shake him off. I then did not feel comfortable picking him up with my hand so I used the dowel to pick him up, it took several attempts. it was terrifying for him, now I am afraid I have damaged any chance of trust. After all of this I was able to get him on my hand, I had him ladder and gave him some treats and we played with some toys. What can I do to repair this? Thank you.

Hey !,
Good question,
It is great that you are now giving up and you can see the progresses you are achieving.I have had tons of questions regarding the similar problem that all parrots face which is "dominance". This occurs when parrots become mature and when they reach maturity stage they become dominant over you and start being bossy causing them to bite you.

How to avoid this?
1-Never place your parrot on your shoulder just as you are currently doing which is great.
2-Do not place a dowel as that causes parrots to start chewing it thinking that you are playing a game with them.
3-NEVER show reaction when they bite. It is indeed very difficult to show no reaction but that is the way. Also do not shake off your hand but instead use an object that ur parrot is scared of. If your parrot starts biting then instantly use that object to remove your parrot from your hand to the cage/stand and instantly inside the cage. This methadology will help your parrot to learn from reinforcement. Follow this process each time your parrot bites you and when your parrot doesnt then instantly reward it with a treat, love , care, passion and loads of excitment and attention. Within a few weeks, with patience you will succeed.

Like my facebook page named bird tameness. Subscribe to my youtube channel named Parrot whisperer which will help you a lot.

Parrot whisperer

I am able to answer any question regarding Parrots including : trick training Health illness symptoms such as feather plucking how to tame them how to deal with agression or depression problems Parrots as first pets how to know there approximate age cages,appropriate toys for excersise how to know whether they are male or female how to deal with emergencies(injuries, wounds..obesity...ect) Things i may not be able to answer: very deep unknown illnesses or difficult to recognise or breeding large parrot species.

I have many years of experience with birds. i have dealt with alexanderines, cockatiels, african greys , cockatoos, umbrellas, galahs, sulfur crested, rednecks, lutino cocktiels, pied cocktiels, congos , timinehs and more. I have recieved many customers asking to tame , train and teach there birds tricks and about there healthy diet. I have transformed their aggressive depressed bird into a cuddly loving creature. The whole secret is offering them love, dedication and time ! I have written a full taming and training book present now on called: secrets to taming, training and teaching birds tricks revealed. This book aims to untilise both bird owners and the birds themselves I have organised a page on facebook named bird tameness which specifically advices,solves, shares and deals with all bird problems and aims to build "trustworthiness" with bird owners. Also, i have offered many free training and taming videos on my youtube channel named "Parrot whisperer".

-bird tameness facebook page-i belong as a manager, personal trainer and founder -bird tameness' supplies facebook page -taming, training and rescuing unwanted birds in dubai -guiding bird lovers to purchasing the right pet for them in UAE.

The official book i personally published called: secrets to taming, training and teaching birds tricks revealed.

-bird tameness facebook page -researches conducted - -major experience with parrots and organisations.

recieveing praises, complements, Thani you emails and more for helping wordldwide people with there birds incluDing US, SOUTH AFRICA, DUBAI , LEBANON AND MORE.

i have a moderator, content creator, sponser and a manager of the bird tameness facebook page