Participating in the Political Process/multiple elected positions

Is it legal to hold multiple elected positions at the same time, such as being mayor and senator?

Dear Leo,

The simple answer is "it depends." It depends on which state it is in (since state elections are governed by state law in most respects) and it depends on the offices in question. For example, in Massachusetts, where I live, we recently had someone serving both as mayor and as state representative. This might not be allowed in some other states.

On the other hand, it is pretty much forbidden to be a governor and a state legislator, or to sit in both houses of a two-house legislature, or to hold both state and federal elected office at the same time.

To get more specifics, you would have to specify the state -- and then ask someone with expertise on that state. I could only answer the question about Massachusetts.

Hope this helps a little!

Participating in the Political Process

John C. Berg

How to run for office and win, how to lobby, how to promote your political cause effectively, how to get involved in electoral and issue campaigns, how to get a job in politics.

I have been a professor of political science since 1974, and direct a graduate program in professional politics. I have worked on many campaigns in various capacities.

American Association of Political Consultants, American Political Science Association, Caucus for a New Political Science, National Society for Experiential Education, International Political Science Association.

Polity, New Political Science, Policy Studies Journal. Author of Unequal Struggle: Class, Gender, Race, and Power in the US Congress.

PhD, Harvard University, 1975
MA, Harvard University, 1973
BA with Honors, University of Wisconsin, 1964