Participating in the Political Process/percentages

Question
QUESTION: When a political candidate wins any office, the news is always reporting on the percentages. For example,Hillary wine "x" percentage of the black vote in South Carolina or Donald Trump got x percent of the Latino vote. Does it really make that much difference? The point is to win overall.

ANSWER: You are right--but people in politics want to know which demographic groups they should try to turn out, and where they need to strengthen their appeals. In the case of the SC primary, people wanted to see who could turn out black voters, as Democrats need a high black turnout to win in November.

Hope this helps!

John

QUESTION: I don't understand why they need or even THINK they need black votes? I just don't understand why they just don't want votes? Why does it matter to them what color the vote is? Why does it matter?

Answer
Well, black votes ARE votes. So of course you want them, if you think you can get them. One could turn your question around and ask why any politician would want to give up a big bloc of votes.

To win an election, a candidate has to put together a coalition of votes that adds up to a majority, and different groups want different things. For example, rich people want to eliminate the capital gains tax, but people who are not rich generally want to keep it. So a candidate tries to come up with an appeal that will unite a majority coalition, without losing too many votes by taking positions a particular group does not like.

Participating in the Political Process

John C. Berg