Party Planning/Balloons for Silent Auction Tent

Hi John, I have taken over for our school's fundraising silent auction and though I have been involved for 6 years, this is the first year I am involved. Our tent is about the size of a basketball court and then it is divided in half for the silent and live auctions. There will be long tables along the perimeter to the tent with rows of long tables as well.  I have a great decorating committee, but my question is about helium balloons.  We have done them in the past, but I wonder if we can get away with not using them on the tables this year.  They need to last 24 hours as we have a preview night before the main festival.  They have used high float in the past, but I feel like they are a waste of time as we end up having to re-do most the next day.  It takes away man power that I could use elsewhere.  IT is a "fun" auction and not formal at all and I realize the balloons draw your attention to things, but they just seem like a waste.  Any suggestions?  Thanks and Blessings!  Beth

Hi Beth

I am no expert on Balloon Decor and alternatives avaiilable in your country. Here's what I suggest:

1) Speak with your balloon suppliers as they will be able to discuss the latest developments and any alternatives they offer. Perhaps they have a service where they would deal with any 'failures' rather than your own manpower.

2) Consider having vertical banners .... these can be suspended by line, hanging as tall strips behind tables etc and carry images and graphics to suit. I think these would look great and i addition be able to carry info and images so better than the balloons. You could also use colors to effect and signal certain types of tables, displays etc. SImply silk screen printed on fabric.... they would be very cost effective and last for other accasions.

Hope this helps

Party Planning

John Gordon

Stuck for ideas? I can help with ideas on theming, entertainment and anything creative. I specialise in the unusual and have created party experiences for small gatherings right up to large international corporations. I have a great original idea that is totally flexible and personalises the party in a way that touches people.

I have been involved with Corporate and Private Events for many years. I both organise and provide entertainment at a wide range from house parties, anniversaries, celebrations, fun days, conferences, seminars, workshops and street parties.

I gained a degree in Graphic Design and Communication and worked as a Creative Director and Design Consultant for over 20 years. My consultancy Gordon Ollis Design gained commissions from leading International Blue Chip companies and won awards for the work we produced. Since then I've worked in the event industry being involved with theming and entertainment at a wide variety of parties, events and celebrations