Party Planning/16 boy birthday party ideas

My son will be turning 16 next week, short notice and I apologize. My son has been fighting cancer since August of last year and we had hoped to be home and planned just small party there but he is back in hospital. I know there is restrictions due to his health and hospital, of course, but I am not good with my imagination and my mind is just blank! He loves sports and video games but I am not sure about the video games because I personally don't like them! I just want some ideas on something really special that wont be "cheesy" from his mom. His friends and family will be coming to visit but it will be small gathering so just an  idea to get my imagination going again would save the day!!

This is clearly a difficult situation but a special occasion that needs special thought.

Well ....if sport and games are out ..... and you have to consider and abide by hospital rules .... here's what I'd suggest (as I have done this many times).

Make it a magical occasion. Hire a close-up magician who can do a number of things:

Entertain your son with some personalised magic.
Entertain all visitors when they visit in small groups.
Spend time with your son and teach some magic he can do himself.

That's my suggestion and I believe it would be ideal in your situation.

Go to for the ideal magician for this event

Party Planning

John Gordon

Stuck for ideas? I can help with ideas on theming, entertainment and anything creative. I specialise in the unusual and have created party experiences for small gatherings right up to large international corporations. I have a great original idea that is totally flexible and personalises the party in a way that touches people.

I have been involved with Corporate and Private Events for many years. I both organise and provide entertainment at a wide range from house parties, anniversaries, celebrations, fun days, conferences, seminars, workshops and street parties.

I gained a degree in Graphic Design and Communication and worked as a Creative Director and Design Consultant for over 20 years. My consultancy Gordon Ollis Design gained commissions from leading International Blue Chip companies and won awards for the work we produced. Since then I've worked in the event industry being involved with theming and entertainment at a wide variety of parties, events and celebrations