Pathology/PSA Results & Biopsy

Hello, I have typically had PSA readings in the past of around 1.79. Earlier this year, I tested at 3.26. Two subsequent tests, about two months apart, showed 2.51 and 2.58 respectively.

The doctor wants to perform a biopsy, and I'm wondering if this is needed at this point. I believe I had a mild UTI, and have been using cranberry supliments to clear it up.

Do you believe a biopsy is needed at this point??

Hello David

PSA values upto 4 nano gm are considered normal between 4-10 are borderline and above 10 highly suspicious for cancer.
The repeat PSA values show decrease and are below 4. You can have another PSA two months later, if still below 4 a biopsy is not indicated. Is there any other reason why your doctor thinks a biopsy is required?

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA