Pathology/Elevated wbc and pneumonia

My 2year old became sick 5 days ago and at that time had a febrile seizure, and fever of 104 as her only symptoms.  In the past month she has been on steroids 2 times for cough and stridor.  The labs 5 days ago wer negative for UTI, negative for pneumonia, negative for strep, negative blood culture.  Her chest xray showed what they are calling viral pneumonia.  Her WBC count is 36000.  We were told to stay home and treat the fever.  I think the wbc seems to high to suggest virus,  what is your opinion?

Hello Dana:

The WBC count is moderately elevated and such high elevations are more likely in bacterail infection or other abnormalities in the bone marrow. A peripheral blood smear exam and a bone marrow exam is advised if the counts do not revert to normal range to rule out presence of abnormal cells

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA