Pathology/FNA of THyroid report

U/S of thyroid showed Dominant solid nodule in the right mid to upper pole, hypoechoic approxiamet size greater than 1cm.  Neoplasm cannot be excluded.
FNA Report:  The sample is hypocellular with rare clusters of follicular cells and macrophages. Blood Present.  Insufficient for further evaluation

Doctor is going to remove instead or redoing the FNA because the nodule is quite posterior and I am fat in the neck.

Does this lean towards neoplasm?

Hello Gayle:

The sample does not have sufficient cells to make a diagnosis. It could be either benign or malignant. Being hypo cellular per se does not indicate a diagnosis on either side. It just that the needle could not pull out enough cells.

Option is either to respirate which can still be hypo cellular or remove the nodule. Even in benign conditions sometimes the treatment is removal of the nodule.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA