Pathology/Elevated beta globulin

Thank you for your time.  I am a 44 yr female.   I recently had blood tests.   My beta globulin was elevated, not very high, but not normal.  Albumin was normal, the A/G  ratio was 1.3.   Alpha globulins were normal.  My rheumatoid factor was elevated as well.  My dr. wants me to have serum and urine immunofixation tests.  

Could you please explain what elevated beta globulins may indicate, and what the immunofixation tests are looking for.   Any chance this is nothing?

I appreciate any information you have to offer.  Thanks so much!

Hello Chris:

The Globulin fraction of proteins can be elevated in a host of disorders including chronic parasitic infections, liver disease, ulcers in intestine, rheumatoid arthritis, certain types of cancers etc.

Immunofixtion is a test done to specify what type of protein is increased the most. Since your rheumatoid factor is also increased this could possible be due to arthritis.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA