Pathology/Low white blood cells and low monocytes

Hi, my white blood cells and monocytes have been consistently low the past 4 tests. WBC are at 2.8 and monocytes are at 1.

I also have chronic lyme which I've heard can lower white blood cells in some people but not all and was wondering the cause of low monocytes. I am not taking any antibiotics right now or meds that would cause the low numbers.

Do I need to pursue this further?

Thank you.

Yes the lymphocytes are lowered in Lyme disease as the spirochetes (organisms causing Lyme diseas) destroy these cells. If you are not experiencing any other symptoms there is no need to worry. After few months you may repeat a test for blood counts to see where the counts stand.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA