Pathology/Papillary thyroid cancer

Question
Recently had a FNA biopsy of the thyroid.  Found rare cells with nuclear grooves and intranuclear cytoplasmic inclusions.  Can these cell conditions be found in a benign thyroid?  Does it depend on the percentage of cells that exhibit this?  Biopsy report was suspicious for papillary thyroid cancer, yet not definitive.

Answer
Hello Dennis:

Nuclear grooves and inteanuclear inclusions are features of papillary thyroid cancer. However rare cells showing these features on an otherwise normal cell population is not indicative of cancer.

If these rare cells are the only cells with not enough normal cells the FNA should be repeated as the sample is inadequate.

If at least 20 or more cells show these features it is suspicious for cancer and needs to be excised

Wish you good health.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD