Pathology/psa readings with different test methods

Dr. Dahiya,
My psa tests are usually done with Beckman Coulter Immunoassay.
In the past I noticed that a test done with Vitros ECI Immunometric gave higher numbers:
Beckman Coulter: 2.4 ng/mL
Vitros ECI: 3.1 ng/mL
Is this typical?
I am asking this question because my urologist keeps an eye on psa velocity.
Thank you.

Hello Sylvan

Various assays and equipment used for PSA testing should ideally be calibrated by manufacturer to produce comparable result. However, in practice this is not always true. Thus test results from different instruments give variable results. Ideally for follow up the PSA should be done from the same laboratory using the same instrument .

In your case both values are below 4 ng / ml  and are not indicative of any abnormality of the prostate.  

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA