Pathology/Fan pathology results

Question
hi, I had an FNA on my lymph node in my neck. Can you tell me what this may point to? Please please
Thank you!

Microscopic Description:
Aspirations from the first two passes yielded very little material. All three passes show a mildly heterogeneous population of lymphocytes. There are predominantly small mature lymphocytes with a few scattered larger cells including a rare tingible body macrophage. No granulomas or epithelial cells are seen.

results; Low cellular yield showing mildly-heterogeneous lymphoid population.

Comment: Clinical follow-up of the lymph nodes is recommended, and excisional biopsy may be necessary for definitive diagonsis if the lymph node does not resolve.

Answer
Hello Doanne:

The FNA yielded a low volume of cells. However the cells aspirated are a mix of normal cells found in the lymph node. They do not show anything suspicious for infection or cancer.
Since the yield is low it does not completely rule out infection or other disease. The node can be removed and examined or it could be followed up. If increasing in size excision is best.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD