Pathology/differing assay methods for PSA tests

My husband and I are trying to make sense of the results of recent PSA tests.  We see that results from different assay methods are not interchangeable.  One test was performed using the Siemens chemiluminescent method.  Another was performed using the Siemens Advia Centaur method.  Are these the same or different, and if the latter, can the results not be directly correlated?  Thank you for your help.

Hello Elizabeth

You are right. There is a variation in PSA values between various methodologies employed by instruments from different manufacturers.
Ideally PSA should be done from the same lab using the same instrument every time PSA is tested.

As long as the values are within normal range it is fine. If they are outside the range, it is best to compare values done on one type of equipment.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA