Pathology/cancer

Question
In July of this year, as a result of blood in my urine, the doctor referred me to a hospital. My PSA at that time was 3.8. After seeing numerous doctors and a biopsy it was decided to leave my prostate alone and keep an eye on it with three monthly follow up appointments.
I have just had my first three month follow up appointment and, after a blood test last week which found my PSA at 5.09, the doctor has recommended me to have the cancer treated via radiotherapy or operation as soon as possible. Is this possible with such a low PSA..

Answer
Hello Derek:
PSA is a screening and follow up tool after confirming diagnosis of cancer. It is not diagnostic for cancer.
10% of f men over 50 will have a reading above 4.0. Roughly 3040% of these men will have prostate cancer.
Your PSA is just above the normal, the treatment should be based on a positive biopsy indicating presence of cancer and digital rectal exam. Benign prostate hyperplasia (enlargement) can also increase the PSA levels.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD