Pathology/Pathology

Question
Neha, as a pathologist, where do you spend most of your time and what do you do? Do you spend all your time in the lab, or do you see patients?

Also, what is the difference between what a pathologist is able to do and a laboratory technician (for the particular field)?

Thanks!

Answer
Hello:

A pathologist is a physician who graduates in medicine and then has a 4-5 years specialty training in Pathology.  A pathologist reads the test results or interprets biopsy samples and takes into consideration patents history to provide a diagnosis. A pathologist teaches medical students and does research.

A pathologist usually does not have direct contact with the patient.

A laboratory technician, runs the samples blood, other body fluids  etc, prepares tissues obtained to produce microscopic slides, maintains the equipment. The results are interpreted by the pathologist.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD