Pathology/Calcification

Question
Is it common for the brain to start to calcify with age and do you know how a person can reduce calcium build up or crystallization? I know this may not specific relate to pathology but there isn't a neurologist or brain surgeon on here.

Answer
Hello James:

Calcification occurs in the brain in association with various medical conditions. It can be associated with brain injury, stroke, conditions when thyroid hormones are low, brain tumors etc.

Age related calcium deposition in blood vessels can occur anywhere including the brain.. If there is an imbalance in calcium metabolism and blood levels are high, it can be treated.  

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD