Pathology/cellular dermatofibroma

I had a cellular dermatofibroma removed a few months ago. It was fairly large and on my neck. My dermatologist told me that it extended very deep, and he had to peel it off the muscle. I have read a paper on the internet that says that some of these can spread to other parts of the body.  Should I be concerned?  The path report said it was "very spindly", so they had to do special stains on it.  Thank you.

Hello Amy:

Dermatofibroma  is a benign lesion of cells present in deeper layers of skin. A cellular variant can grow fairly large and deep. Based on size, depth and recurrence it can metastasize. However, it is extremely rare for these lesions to metastasize.

If the lesion was completely excised and the deepest margin did not show spindle cells, the chance of local recurrence is minimized. Multiple local recurrences are likely to cause metastasis. You doctor may place you on follow up. There is no need for undue worry if the tumor was completely removed. The special stains help to distinguish cellular lesions from outright malignant lesions which can mUnix the appearance of cellular dermatofibroma.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA