Pathology/what does my dermatopathology report means

Question
it says sectiond of skin showing irregular and enlarged nests of large atypical melanocytes as well as single cells present at all layers of epidermis there is a downward growth of the malignant cells into the dermis to a depth of 1.6 mm heavy pigmentation is present at least six dermal mitoses are identified at one side of the lesion small nested nevus cells are seen .multiple sections have been examined mel a stains were performed ki67 stains confrim an increased proliferative number cells .. i just need to know what this means because my dr appt isnt for two weeks to see the oncolgist

Answer
Hello Rachel:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your query.

The skin report provided shows presence of malignant melanocytes.... Pigment producing cells in the skin. These are present single and in groups and go to a depth of 1.6 mm. The cells are actively dividing (6 mitosis ) hence are aggressive. Special stains like Ki67 confirms this.

It appears to be malignant melanoma... Cancer of melanin producing cells in the skin.

The important point to clarify is if the lesion was removed completely and that the margins are clear. If so then you would just require regular follow up. If not remaining lesion would need to be excised.

Your doctor will advise on protection for sun and when to follow up visit

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD