Pathology/Explanation of pathology report

Husband underwent treatment for Prostate cancer 4 years ago. After a reocurrence of prostate cancer (biopsy positive)
he had a bone, left pubic ramus on 1/20/14.  Metastatic prostate adenocarcinoma.  Please define the meaning of the following results:  

PSA: Positive
CK20: Positive
Pan Cytokeratin: Positive
Ck19: Positive
CK7: Negative
CK903: Negative

Hello Carol:

I apologize for the delay in replying to your query..

All the tests mentioned by you are tumor markers. They identify various proteins secreted by different cancers and help to confirm a diagnosis.

PSA: is prostate specific antigen and it being positive confirms that the metastatic bone lesion is indeed arising from the prostate.
Pan cytokeratin, CK 19 and CK 20 are proteins present in epithelial cells. Cells which line the skin or  various glands like in prostate. CK 19 also indicates the epithelium is stratified or layered.

All positive markers confirm the metastatic tumor is of prostate origin.

Wish your husband good health.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA