Pathology/Neutrophils and Nodules

Question
Hello, for about three months i have had painful nodules on my lower shins in both legs. I just had lab work done and the Neutrophils Absolute was 8.1 with a standard of 2.2 - 4.8 k/mm3, any idea what this might be and is the blood count that abnormal?

Answer
Hello Chris:

The neutrophils are a type of white blood cell which is the first line of defense against infection, inflammation or other insult to the body. There is a mild elevation and may be related to your nodules or something else in the body.

The nodules can be due any number of causes. Have a physician evaluate them to see if a biopsy is required. Without examining the modules it's hard to arrive at a diagnosis.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD