Pathology/Neutrophils and Nodules

Hello, for about three months i have had painful nodules on my lower shins in both legs. I just had lab work done and the Neutrophils Absolute was 8.1 with a standard of 2.2 - 4.8 k/mm3, any idea what this might be and is the blood count that abnormal?

Hello Chris:

The neutrophils are a type of white blood cell which is the first line of defense against infection, inflammation or other insult to the body. There is a mild elevation and may be related to your nodules or something else in the body.

The nodules can be due any number of causes. Have a physician evaluate them to see if a biopsy is required. Without examining the modules it's hard to arrive at a diagnosis.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA