Pathology/Cytology, Urine results

Could you please explain the comment from the pathologist.  

Comment: One slide reveals squamous epithelial cells, urothelial cells, scattered inflammatory cells and occasional red blood cells.

Thank you

Hello Mary:

I apologize for the long delay in addressing your question.

Urine normally has occasional cells - squamous epithelia, which are flat cells lining the vaginal area and are shed into the urine stream. Urothelial cells are cells which line the tube which carries the urine out. These most likely are normal cells shed routinely as nothing abnormal about them is mentioned in the report above.

Inflammatory cells (cells which fight infection)  and red blood cells should not be present in urine.... these could indicate presence of infection, stones higher in the kidney or bladder or some other pathology.

Based on your symptoms like pain on passing urine, itching etc the doctor will confirm what is the cause for presence of inflammatory cells and red blood cells.

Infection is easily treated with medicine.

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA