Pathology/child with low wbc and high rbc

blood work
blood work  
My daughter (almost 4 years old) had some routine blood work done. Her white blood cell count was low at 4.3 while her red bllod cell count was high at 4.74 Her platelet count is 209. The other thing that showed up low was the Lymph at 1.7 I am concerned but the Dr said not to worry.Could you please explain if these counts seem strange?

Hello Ashley:

All the normal ranges for blood tests are an average of the values taken from a set of normal healthy population. Since it is an average some individuals can fall out side the range. A minimal increase or decrease without any signs or symptoms does not have a clinical significance.

If your daughter is otherwise healthy you needn't worry about this minor change

Neha Dahiya MD

Help patients understand the medical terminology of their lab results and / or tissue biopsy reports.

I am a pathologist and director of clinical laboratory services. I have been a practicing pathologist for last 9 years in a 350 bed multi specialty hospital laboratory in India.

Indian association of pathologists and microbiologists.
International Academy of Cytology
International association of Pathologists - Indian division
Indian association of Cytology

MD (pathology) MBA