Pathology/Biopsy Report

Question
Hello,

I had a thyroid biopsy at the hospital. While I was laying on the table I heard the doctor say that the nodule was on the right side. I then heard the hospital sonogram tech say that it was on the left. They had a discussion about this for about 10-15 minutes. Finally, the sonogram tech showed the doctor that she was correct by showing him my right side and showing him my left side.

As you can imagine, hearing this conversation was disturbing. I was fine up until I heard that discussion. My question is, should I contact the radiology company that performed and wrote the original report to let them know that it was wrong? What is the normal procedure in this instance?

Thank you

Answer
Hello Mary:

I can understand how this type of confusion can cause anxiety for you. If indeed there was an error in identifying the site of nodule, it could cause unnecessary delay in your diagnosis and treatment and maybe even wrong diagnosis.

However, having said that, often times there are more than one nodules and the dominant/largest nodule is reported. It would be best to contact the Radiology department to find out what is the rationale behind their report and if it was indeed wrong or not.

If wrong then the department will take steps to ensure such errors do not recur. Unless someone reports, nobody is aware a mistake has been made.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD