Pathology/ProBNP

Question
Good day.  My husband suffers with Stage 4 CKD. He sufferes from iron deficiency anaemia and about a month ago had an iron infusion.  His Haemoglobin is currently at 9.3.  He is on Crestor for high cholesterol. He has recently been hospitalised for extreme shortness of breath and bad oedema in the lower .  His ProBNP levels came back at over 10 000pg/ml and the cardiologist said that he has diastolic heart failure. Please tell me what the prognosis is.

Answer
Hello:

proBNP is elevated indicating severe heart failure. CKD also causes increase in BNP because of inadequate clearance.
I think adequate treatment will help control the heart failure.
Anemias also needs to be improved to prevent further chances of heart failure.

Wish your husband good health.

Pathology

Neha Dahiya MD