Pediatric Dentistry/Deep pit cavity

Question
My 4 year old daughter has 2 deep pits on the occlusal surface of her lower first molars. At her appt today the xrays showed that one pit had a cavity and it looked like it just reached her dentin and was a little sticky. The other pit was sticky but looked discolored. The dentist recommended that he fill the one tooth with the cavity and put a sealant on the other pit. I have zero idea what to do bc I dont have an issue with filling the tooth with the cavity but what if that other pit is a cavity but too small to really tell yet. I dont want to seal a potential cavity in but wouldnt sealing it protect the pit if it is just a stain. I asked the dentist about trying air abrasion on the tooth with the cavity and he said it was too messy and that they dont do air abrasion even on the older children. What do I do?? My general dentist has a prophy jet (pediatric dentist said they don't) and Im wondering why they can try something like that on her other tooth's pit to see if it is a stain. The dentist also told me he would be ising a stackable filling material and not a flowable composite. Are those the only two options? From what I have heard the stackable filling procedure is more accurate. Is that true?

Answer
The stains can be cleaned out both with a high speed handpiece, and a bur. Either a flowable composite or packable can and will work fine. I do not recommend using sealant material on permanent teeth, does not hold well, that is why insurance does not cover seals on baby teeth.The stain can be removed just with the high speed with out even numbing if it is truly just stain.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.