Pediatric Dentistry/Abscess tooth

My 7 years old daughter has an abscess on her upper baby molar. The lump appeared on Saturday. She was seen and antibiotic, clindamycin, was started. Between sat and now, the lump has pus in it.  Is this the normalcouse for the abscess?  The doctor recommends extraction of it on Friday. Is this ok?  Te doctor is not a pediatric dentist but a family one.  Should she be seen by a pediatric one.  If extraction is the option, will she nned a spacer

Dear anxious mom;

This is the normal course of an infection in the mouth after antibiotic therapy. I would also recommend extraction of the tooth.  In my opinion, she should be evaluated for a space maintainer.

The question I have is why did she have this abscess? It is probably from tooth decay.  Is she being seen on a regular basis by a dentist? Does she have other cavities? Did the DDS take an xray of the area? Does the DDS feel comfortable extracting the tooth and evaluating her for a space maintainer?

As a pediatric dentist, these are issues that I deal with on a daily basis.

You need to ask these questions and then consider whether you need to seek speciality care from a pediatric DDS.  

Dr. Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.

I can answer any question in the field of pediatric dentistry which may include questions regarding interceptive orthodontics.

I have been in private practice for 26 years in Westbury, NY. My practice treats patients from infancy through their late adolescence.

American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Nassau County Dental Society American Dental Association New York State Dental Association

SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine 1981-1985 Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY, Pediatric Dentistry 1985-1987

Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Asst. Professor-SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine-Dept of Children's Dentistry Attending DDS-SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital Attending DDS-North Shore University Hospital at Syosset Attending DDS-Winthrop University Hospital