Pediatric Dentistry/stainless steel crowns

I recently took my 5 and half year son and 4 year old daughter for a check up.  This is the third for my son and the first for my daughter.  Their teeth were cleaned etc.  The dentist showed me on my daughter that his sharp pointed tool (sorry, I don't know the correct name) stuck in her bottom molars.  These teeth have no other signs of decay.  They aren't discolored in any way.  He wants to put in fillings and a crown.  He also wants to crown a molar on my son, who until this check up has never had any problems.  He too has no visible decay.  Are the crowns necessary?  This seems to be extreme for so little a problem.  I would seek a second opinion, but I don't think my insurance will pay for it and I am not in a position to incur out of pocket expenses.

If you have copies of the xrays you can forward to me I would be able to give you my opinion on the type of treatment needed. even a photo would be helpful. Without I cannot tell if the treatment is the norm. If decay is extensive, stainless steel crown is the required restorations.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.

All questions related to Pediatric Dentistry, Dental Growth, Dental Trauma, First Dental visit, Baby Bottle tooth Decay, Dental Sedation, Etc...

20 years private practice as a Pediatric Dentist, Staff at University Of Nevada School of Dental Medicine, Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry.

ADA, AAPD, Nevada dental society, Clark County Dental Society, Cal. AAPD, Western society of Pediatric Dentistry, Southern Nevada CFA Team core member.

ASDC Journal

Washington University in Saint Louis, Dental School University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, residency

Top pediatric Dental office 6 years in a row.