Pediatric Dentistry/stainless steel crowns

Question
I recently took my 5 and half year son and 4 year old daughter for a check up.  This is the third for my son and the first for my daughter.  Their teeth were cleaned etc.  The dentist showed me on my daughter that his sharp pointed tool (sorry, I don't know the correct name) stuck in her bottom molars.  These teeth have no other signs of decay.  They aren't discolored in any way.  He wants to put in fillings and a crown.  He also wants to crown a molar on my son, who until this check up has never had any problems.  He too has no visible decay.  Are the crowns necessary?  This seems to be extreme for so little a problem.  I would seek a second opinion, but I don't think my insurance will pay for it and I am not in a position to incur out of pocket expenses.

Answer
If you have copies of the xrays you can forward to me I would be able to give you my opinion on the type of treatment needed. even a photo would be helpful. Without I cannot tell if the treatment is the norm. If decay is extensive, stainless steel crown is the required restorations.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.