Pediatric Dentistry/Dental assistant question

I know it is a little off subject for what you would normally answer, but sadly the people in the correct category could not help me that much.

To get to the point, I have been looking into dental assistant classes for a while now, but between working full time, having a toddler and running a house I just cant fathom finding the time to do what I do now plus add on 4+ years of going everyday plus homework of dental assistant classes at my local community college.

One person told me to look into a 9 month-18 month program of assistant classes and that they are generally short or weekend hour classes and are pretty flexible.

What I was wondering, was is there really a big difference between the two ( community college -vs- a one year program)?
Most charge about 10 grand and I don't want to spend the money on one only to find out that people prefer you to have gone through the college dental program.

Unfortunately Amber I'm not familiar with the programs that you're describing in Texas. However I don't feel investment of $10,000 into a dental assisting program will reap the financial benefits for you over the years.  I would find an office that is willing to train you as an eager employee and gradually increase your salary at this office. Almost like an internship. Hope this helps. Dr Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.

I can answer any question in the field of pediatric dentistry which may include questions regarding interceptive orthodontics.

I have been in private practice for 26 years in Westbury, NY. My practice treats patients from infancy through their late adolescence.

American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Nassau County Dental Society American Dental Association New York State Dental Association

SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine 1981-1985 Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY, Pediatric Dentistry 1985-1987

Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Asst. Professor-SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine-Dept of Children's Dentistry Attending DDS-SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital Attending DDS-North Shore University Hospital at Syosset Attending DDS-Winthrop University Hospital