Pediatric Dentistry/Best plan for orthodontics for seven-year-old

Hello, I am a bit worried about my seven-year-old who has already lost eight teeth and another one--an incisor on top--is now loose. He has five adult teeth in. He has a major gap between his top two front teeth--with one protruding outwardly quite a bit--and crowding. His orthodontist suggested she would like to start with a palatal expander soon because of these issues. Is this the best plan to rein in his top teeth and help with all the crowding? He is definitely lacking room for some of the adult teeth to come in. I want to be sure we are following the right course of action. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dear Alison,

This sounds like a common issue with your seven year old. Your child sounds like he is early in getting his permanent teeth in, however, the sequence is what is important and it sounds correct.  Unfortunately, without models, X-rays, and photos, it is impossible to advise you regarding the need for a palatal expander.  This is a very common appliance which is used for many reasons at this age.

My suggestion would be to go for a second opinion to compare treatment plans.  Do not tell the second DDS regarding the palatal expander! See what they say independently.

Dr. Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.

I can answer any question in the field of pediatric dentistry which may include questions regarding interceptive orthodontics.

I have been in private practice for 26 years in Westbury, NY. My practice treats patients from infancy through their late adolescence.

American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Nassau County Dental Society American Dental Association New York State Dental Association

SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine 1981-1985 Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY, Pediatric Dentistry 1985-1987

Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Asst. Professor-SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine-Dept of Children's Dentistry Attending DDS-SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital Attending DDS-North Shore University Hospital at Syosset Attending DDS-Winthrop University Hospital