Pediatric Dentistry/Advanced tooth decay - what to expect

My 6 year old brother has teeth that are in terrible shape - multiple cavities in the molars with very advanced decay. Additionally, a few years back he chipped a few of his top front teeth substantially and the exposed area has darkened over the years. I repeatedly told my parents to get him to a dentist but they firmly believe that problems with the baby teeth do not affect the permanent teeth, hence why they have let him get away with poor brushing habits. I recently discovered that his gums above the broken teeth are starting to turn brown, which has caught my parents' attention. We have made a dentist appointment but I'm still very worried as we don't have insurance. What options can we expect for his case?

Dear Quynh
Taking care of baby teeth is very important as the damage which had already happened can't be reversed.The treatment your brother may need, i would be able to tell only after x-rays or a pic of teeth. the options include :Deep cavities may need root canal treatment(RCT)while small cavities need simple filling. Molar teeth with multiple surface cavities would need capping/crown. As you had described the condition i think top front teeth may need to be removed if found to be badly destroyed roots.  

Pediatric Dentistry

All questions related to Pediatric and preventive dentistry like First Dental visit, Tooth development and eruption, dental anomaly, crooked teeth, tooth decay, nursing caries, prevention of tooth decay,dental Trauma and dental Sedation etc...

Four years of clinical experience at center of excellence in the field(PGIMER, Chandigarh, India)

I have done my MDS in Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh, India. I also have worked as Senior research fellow in Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi funded projects in the field.