Pediatric Dentistry/teeth problem in my toddler

Hello Doctor,
My son born on 28/3/2012 with clift lip. he is around now 1 year 6 month. he has got first tooth during after his first bday. later during may he got two more teeth. two down and one up tooth he has now. after may june he didnt not got any tooth.. is there any changes of not coming or is there is a delay in growing.What i have to do now? Much worried because all his age group toddlers have teeth. And how to take care of his three teeth always his mouth smells a lot. how to clean his mouth and tongue.

I can understand your worries. The child with cleft lip with involvement of alveolus may have problems like delayed eruption of teeth, less or more number of teeth, changes in position of teeth. however, chances of these problems in child with cleft lip only are minimal. These children have higher chances of decay and gums problems. all these problems are treatable, only thing you need to consult pediatric dentist/orthodontist regularly.

I will suggest you that wait for the unerupted teeth and clean the erupted teeth with supersoft baby brush without any toothpaste. After everyfeed clean the mouth even in the night. The cleaning can be done either with toothbrush or give lukewarm water in the bottle or with a clean wet cloth. if possible use a toungecleaner. you can visit pediatric dentist nearby you to demonstrate how to clean. if any further doubt, you can post your doubt again.

Pediatric Dentistry

All questions related to Pediatric and preventive dentistry like First Dental visit, Tooth development and eruption, dental anomaly, crooked teeth, tooth decay, nursing caries, prevention of tooth decay,dental Trauma and dental Sedation etc...

Four years of clinical experience at center of excellence in the field(PGIMER, Chandigarh, India)

I have done my MDS in Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh, India. I also have worked as Senior research fellow in Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi funded projects in the field.