Pediatric Dentistry/Front tooth horizontal cracks

Question
My 12 year old fell down and injured one of his front teeth. He has two horisontal cracks. One is by the root and the other is in the middle. It's visible when the light is on he tooth. We went to see the dentist right away. She looked at it and took X-rays. We were told the tooth might change color and if it does he will need a root canal, and veneir when he's older, to support the tooth. The incident happened almost a year ago and the tooth color didn't change ! I take my son for cleaning every six months.  He has perfect teeth, sealed molars. Is is still necessary to give extra support to the cracked tooth by a venier? What age would it be reasonable? Can the color of the tooth change over a year or it does in the first few months? I'm very concerned about his cracked tooth being hit again since he's an active 12 year old, playing sport. I make him wear mouth guard.
Thank you in advance!

Answer
These are called stressed craze lines. Just like a old tea cup, the cracks are more cosmetic then anything else. Most likely the tooth will be fine but need to be followed on a regular basses. If a veneers are done for cosmetics it should be done at age 18 or 19 once growth is complete.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.