Pediatric Dentistry/cavity

Question
My son is 15 years old, it has been a week since i took him to the dentist, and the x-ray showed that he had a cavity inside tooth number 18 and 19. Number 19 already has a feeling on it, but the cavity is under the feeling. Number 18 is a new cavity , its  not noticable on the surface, but it is noticable on the x-ray . I dont know how thats possible. Can you please give me an explanation. I aprreciate your help.

Answer
Dear Evelyn;

Cavities are detected two ways by dentists. One way is visually checking and using an explorer which has a point to detect tooth decay. The other way is with X-rays.  X-rays will show if tooth decay exists between teeth where we can't visually check.

It sounds like your son has tooth decay between teeth #18 and #19 on his Xray picture.

Your dentist may better explain it to you by actually showing you the decay on the Xray.

Sincerely,

Dr. Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.