Pediatric Dentistry/Red Bump On My Daughters Gums

Red Bump
Red Bump  
My 5 year old daughter has a BB sized, red bump on her upper gum line where the third molar would be. She said that she has no pain. There is no swelling to the area, or cheek, just the bump. There is no tooth decay on the surrounding teeth. There is no puss or sign of infection. What could it be?

Hi Valerie;

It is very hard to determine what actually is going on with your daughter. There are three

possibilities that are the most obvious:

1.  It could be an irritation from a toothbrush or something that poked her in the area.

2.  It could be an irritation from eating something very hot.

3.  It could be her permanent first molar erupting behind the last baby molar and the tooth is starting to poke through the gum tissue.  This usually occurs around six years of age on average. Some children are earlier.

I would suggest you see a pediatric dentist if this area doesn't heal up in the near future.

Dr. Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.

I can answer any question in the field of pediatric dentistry which may include questions regarding interceptive orthodontics.

I have been in private practice for 26 years in Westbury, NY. My practice treats patients from infancy through their late adolescence.

American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Nassau County Dental Society American Dental Association New York State Dental Association

SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine 1981-1985 Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY, Pediatric Dentistry 1985-1987

Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Asst. Professor-SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine-Dept of Children's Dentistry Attending DDS-SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital Attending DDS-North Shore University Hospital at Syosset Attending DDS-Winthrop University Hospital