Pediatric Dentistry/Alternative to RCT

Question
Sir/Madam
1)My grandson is just 6 years and VERY NAUGHTY.For some problem my dentist has advised RCT for him.But the problem is that he may not cooperate and more trouble may be faced.But Root canal treatment for  teeth in children is a complex procedure requiring lengthy
appointments and multiple visits .
2)If alternatively PRIMARY TOOTH IS EXTRACTED ERUPTION OF PERMANENT TOOTH WILL BE A PROBLEM OR WILL NOT ERUPT AT ALL
3)Whether Sealants can be used. It is seen  Xylitol is an  alternative for  patients to  manage recurring cavities easily,.Whether chewing xylitol gum, eating cheese and rinsing with water after meals may all play a role in reducing bacteria, neutralizing acids in the mouth and preventing tooth erosion.
  Whether for a 6 year old boy Xylitol should be taken  as chewing  gum.
   Please help with your answer

Answer
Dear Kalyan;

I hope that your grandson is being treated by a pediatric dentist not a family dentist.  If he has a lot of extensive dental work that needs to be done and he is a potential behavioral problem, then you and the dentist should consider treatment under IV sedation in the office or general anesthesia in a hospital setting.

As far as RCT, this is needed to save certain baby teeth until they are ready to fall out.  It should only take one visit per tooth for this treatment not multiple visits unless their are multiple teeth.  Extraction is an option, however, space maintainers would have to be used to preserve the space of the extracted teeth.  the new teeth will not come into his mouth for a few years.

Without xrays, I can not give you a definitive treatment plan for your grandson.

I am not a big fan of the chewing gum with Xylitol. Sealants should be used on his permanent molars.

My assumption was that he needed RCT on his baby teeth not his permanent teeth. If RCT is needed on his permanent teeth, then extractions may be considered.

Hope this info helps,

Dr.Glen  

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.