Pediatric Dentistry/Dental Extraction

My daughter is 8 years old and two of her bottom molars have caps on them (one on either side of her mouth.)

On November 18th, her dentist found an abscess on one of her capped teeth. The Dentist said that she would have to have it extracted, but can't do it until December 22nd. And then last Week, I noticed that the gums around her other capped tooth were swollen and red. Her dentist was closed, so I took her to the doctor. He gave her more antibiotics and told me to contact her dentist because that tooth was probably aslo abscessed.

So I called her dentist today, and was told that they would not see her because the tooth was on a different side from the first abscess, so they won't be able to do anything about it anyways. The Dentist office told me that the dentist can only extract teeth that are on the same side of the mouth, so after I get the first one fixed, I can then go and make another appointment and see about getting the other one fixed.

My question is why can they only work on one side of the mouth at a time? It is already going to take almost 5 weeks to get the first tooth fixed, and I'm afraid that if I wait to make another appointment, it will take another 5 or 6 weeks to get that one fixed. So my daughter could have an abscess for two to three months before anything can be done about it. Isn't that too long to have an adscess? Her dentist is the only pediactric dentist around this area, but I'm wondering if I should take her to a family dentist and see if they could do it sooner, or at least take care of both of them at the same time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my question! Any information you could give me would be very appreciated!

most pediatric dentist do not numb both sides of the mouth at the same time, it makes it hard for the child to swallow and can be dangerous. If you need both out I would recommend going to an oral surgeon who can put her under and remove both with minimal anesthetic. But he is following a safe protocol for your child's safety. Best wishes.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.

All questions related to Pediatric Dentistry, Dental Growth, Dental Trauma, First Dental visit, Baby Bottle tooth Decay, Dental Sedation, Etc...

20 years private practice as a Pediatric Dentist, Staff at University Of Nevada School of Dental Medicine, Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry.

ADA, AAPD, Nevada dental society, Clark County Dental Society, Cal. AAPD, Western society of Pediatric Dentistry, Southern Nevada CFA Team core member.

ASDC Journal

Washington University in Saint Louis, Dental School University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, residency

Top pediatric Dental office 6 years in a row.