Pediatric Dentistry/Tonsils and Denistry

I'm getting mixed reviews and not sure what to do.

My brother in law, dentist in Conroe, TX  Dr. Timothy Gardner

My sons are 7 & 9  Both have enlarged tonisils

They both need dental appliances, one with a cross bite, the other has a Over jet that definitely needs fixed.

Brother says that the tonsils need to be out, they will be a huge factor in their growth.

Doctor says do not take them out because they are there for a reason.

What is the deal?  Yes or no?  If I get the treatment done on the teeth without the tonsils getting removed, will I be wasting time and money because the tonsils will make the growth of the mouth worse after the treatment of the appliances?  Confused.

Dear Droxine;

I am not an orthodontist, however, I will give you my opinion. Children at this age usually have very large tonsils due to the proliferation of the lymphoid tissues in the body.  They usually diminish in size as a child grows.  I would not have them removed routinely unless the child with the overjet has protrusion due to a high vault palate, retro chin and tends to mouth breath.

More information is needed for proper guidance.

I would recommend asking an orthodontist for another opinion.

Dr. Glen

Pediatric Dentistry

Glen Ehrenman D.D.S.

I can answer any question in the field of pediatric dentistry which may include questions regarding interceptive orthodontics.

I have been in private practice for 26 years in Westbury, NY. My practice treats patients from infancy through their late adolescence.

American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Nassau County Dental Society American Dental Association New York State Dental Association

SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine 1981-1985 Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY, Pediatric Dentistry 1985-1987

Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Asst. Professor-SUNY at Stony Brook, School of Dental Medicine-Dept of Children's Dentistry Attending DDS-SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital Attending DDS-North Shore University Hospital at Syosset Attending DDS-Winthrop University Hospital