Pediatric Dentistry/Missing 6 year molar?

My son is 8 years and 7 months old, and is missing his left upper 6 year molar. He was a bit of a late teether (first tooth erupted around 10 months). His bottom front teeth ended up erupting when he was 6 years, 4 months old, however his baby teeth wouldn't fall out and he ended up with shark teeth, so they surgically pulled the bottom four front teeth. His bottom laterals came in within about 4-6 months of that, by 7. His top two front teeth came in (and fell out normally) when he was 7 years, 10 months. He hasn't lost his top laterals yet.   

His 6 year molars were late coming in and didn't start erupting until he was around 7.5 years old. They all came in fairly quick, close together in time frame, however this fourth one, still has never come in, a year later.

He's had an xray and the tooth is there, but not erupting. I myself, had a molar that failed to erupt (a 12 year molar).

They are sending us to see an orthodontist, but I'm just wondering what they will do? Will he have to have the tooth pulled up, or pulled out?

It is hard to evaluate the eruption of the tooth with out looking at x rays if you can send me a copy of it I can give you a better evaluation. The top laterals come in at 8 - 9 years old so no issue yet.  The permanent molar my be stuck or just delayed. Please feel free to send a film.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.

All questions related to Pediatric Dentistry, Dental Growth, Dental Trauma, First Dental visit, Baby Bottle tooth Decay, Dental Sedation, Etc...

20 years private practice as a Pediatric Dentist, Staff at University Of Nevada School of Dental Medicine, Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry.

ADA, AAPD, Nevada dental society, Clark County Dental Society, Cal. AAPD, Western society of Pediatric Dentistry, Southern Nevada CFA Team core member.

ASDC Journal

Washington University in Saint Louis, Dental School University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, residency

Top pediatric Dental office 6 years in a row.