Pediatric Dentistry/Palate Expansion for child?

Question
Teeth
Teeth  
We have a little girl who is 5 years, 7 months old. She is quite small for her age due to health issues, and have been told that she's likely going to need orthodontics due to crowding/spacing issues. I know one dentist mentioned even the possibility of a palate expander.

At what age, would it be beneficial for her to see an orthodontist? Does her jaw look *that* narrow/crowded? To my eye, it looks as though her upper teeth are angling inwards? Is that a problem? If she did need treatment for crowding (either pulling teeth or the expander), at what age do they typically start treatment?

Answer
Palatal expansion should not be done till the full eruption of the permanent 1st molar around 7 years of age. Cannot evaluate need for orthodontics till enough teeth are in.  Normally we like to see spacing between the anterior teeth in the primary dentition, when we see crowding it is likely that some type of orthodontic treatment may be needed.Once the permanent 6 year old molars are fully in I would have the orthodontist to a space analysis to see what treatment would be best for her.

Pediatric Dentistry

Michael D. Saxe D.M.D.