Pediatrics/Recurring High Fever in Toddler with no infection

Vania Melamed wrote at 2012-10-09 03:12:11
My eldest daughter was diagnosed with FMF after blood tests and stool samples confirmed she had no parasites or other disorders, and had no signs of infection, no response to anti-inflammatory meds.  A descending 10-day dose of prednisone at age 7 years saw a dramatic decrease of episodes and severity, with a maturation out of the disease's symptoms completely by age 9.5 years old.  48 hours of colchisine therapy almost killed her; her fevers broke instantly and shot down to a 98 degrees F from 105, which could have sent her into shock, because for the next 24 hours following the first and only dose of colchisine, my daughter was non-responsive and limp.  Now, with the fourth child and third daughter, we are experiencing the exact same symptoms; she is 2.5 years old.  With the eldest child, she was approximately 4.5 years old once we noticed symptoms.  Every two to three weeks, both children got high fevers, no other symptoms, the fevers lasted about 5-7 days, during which neither eats and is extremely lethargic.  Thanks to G-D I am still breastfeeding the fourth child and my fifth who is an infant.  This helps give her much needed nutrition since she refuses to eat during these episodes, and can barely walk.  I recommend you speak immediately with a pediatric rheumatologist about possibly beginning a weight-appropriate 10-day or 5-day prednisone regimen (orally, not via injection), as again, colchisine nearly killed my eldest daughter.  It was a nightmare, as those initial 48 hours after taking the colchisine, we thought we'd lost her.  She appeared comatose.  I would not recommend it, but since I'm not a doctor, again, you need to speak to your rheumatologist.  Ours was not pediatric but she was very familiar with Esther's background medically, so we felt she was a G-Dsend.

Melissa wrote at 2014-01-26 17:34:08
My son who is now 19 did that same thing from an infant to the age of 2 when he was diagnosed with stills disease it is just a form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis maybe you should get them to check him for that!

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.