Pediatrics/my first baby suffering from epidermolysis.now any chance to 2nd child.

Question
QUESTION: purushottam,india,orissa,my baby is now 15months old.she is suffering for epidermolysis bullosa.doctor has said testing from skin biopsy.doctor  confirm she is epidermolysis bullosa.please help me this disease's cure and precaution.how can improve the disease.and handle patient.so igrateful to you.

ANSWER: Hi, purushottam,

I'm sorry to hear this.  EB is a disease that at this time has no treatment.  Handling this condition involves diligent skin care and protection, treatment of any infections, and this sort of tender loving care. There are some interesting ideas about gene therapy to cause a greater production of the anchoring proteins that are missing to keep the epidermis affixed to the dermis, but as far as I know, no one is treating anyone with this regimen.  

Get linked up with a good pediatrician and especially a good dermatologist, preferably one who is versed in pediatric skin care.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: my 1st baby suffering epidermolysis bullosa. now my wife is pregnant.so any effect for baby .from epidermolysis bullosa. Please gauide me.  thanks

Answer
Hi, purushottam,

This is usually inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion, which means that each subsequent baby has a 50:50 chance of being affected.  Again, this is a complicated disease and requires the services of a pediatric children's hospital for full care.

Get some expert help.

Good luck, dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD