Pediatrics/asthama problem

My daughter is 18 months old. She developed asthama at 12 months age. Before that she never had any complaints. Doctor has advised budecort inhaler 100 mcg (pink coloured) to be given twice 1 day for 6 months and montair granules 4mg (oral) once in a day for 2.5 months.
Also, doctor has advised nebulisation with budecort / duolin / budesal / asthalin repsules whenever she feels uneasy / breathe fast. I would like to know what are the side effects of all these steriod being taken by my daugther at so early age? What are the other options available? We are really worried? Please advise. Thanks

It is difficult to  advise regarding treatment without examining the child. However I  can say that montair is quite safe and does help many children. Inhalers deliver very small doses of drugs and are generally free from serious side effects. Avoid exposure to dust as much as possible. Pet animals can sometimes precipitate asthma. Many children are free from attacks after some time and you may be able to stop all medicines. When she grows older encourage her to learn yoga-asanas.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and