QUESTION: My daughter is 18 months old. She developed asthama at 12 months age. Before that she never had any complaints. Doctor has advised budecort inhaler 100 mcg (pink coloured) to be given twice 1 day for 6 months and montair granules 4mg (oral) once in a day for 2.5 months.
Also, doctor has advised nebulisation with budecort / duolin / budesal / asthalin repsules whenever she feels uneasy / breathe fast. I would like to know what are the side effects of all these steriod being taken by my daugther at so early age? What are the other options available? We are really worried? Please advise. Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Asif,

There are two issues here: 1. Whether she needs these and 2. Whether they are safe in young children.

Wheezing of chest is quite common in young children, but all do not need these medicines. I can't say whether YOUR daughter needs it or not, as I haven't seen her. Your doctor is the best judge.

If she does require these medicines, Inhalers are the SAFEST and BEST medicines to control asthma with hardly any side effects. The dose is very less (in micrograms), fraction of what is conventionally given by oral route and the action is directly where it is needed (Lungs) without any side-effect, as the other organs are not exposed to the medicine.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

QUESTION: Hello Doctor Puneet,

Thanks for your early response. As I mentioned above, we are giving her montair granules 4mg orally once in a day and was being given for 45 days, but now doctor has extended the same another 30 days. Unlike inhalers, they directly go into the body. What are the side effects of these. Also can you suggest any other doctor in Navi mumbai / mumbai with whom we can take the second opinion. Thanks.

Hi Asif,

Montair contains Monteleukast: this is NOT a steroid, and is safe.

Please do a "word of mouth survey" (ask your friends, colleagues, neighbours locally) to find  out a good pediatrician in your area.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.