Pediatrics/Cough since birth?

Question
My daughter is 4 months old and has had this raspy, breathy cough since the day she was born.  They told me in the hospital when I had her that it was because of my c-section and totally normal, so she can clear out her lungs.  Here we are, 4 mos later, and it's gotten worse where now she wheezes when she coughs and goes into "coughing fits" when she cries.  She used to only do it when she was crying, but now she does it anytime.  The doctor has said her lungs "sound great".  She supposedly had colic (though it happened only during the day and she's always slept through the night)  I had the cystic fibrosis gene detected during my prenatal exams although my daughter's father wouldn't get tested to see if he had the gene as well.
My daughter is healthy, growing and thriving except for this cough/wheezing.  She's 27 1/2" and 18 lbs 2 oz at 4 mos and was 21" and 9 lbs 7 oz at birth, she's exclusively breastfed.  What should I do with these coughing fits?  I know it isn't whooping cough because we're all vaccinated and it started literally the day she was born.

Answer
Hi, Nicole,

Please get a doctor who will take this seriously. She should not be coughing and wheezing from birth. She needs to have a good history, exam, some chest Xrays, a test for cystic fibrosis, and other things that any good pediatrician should be doing.  If your doctor is not doing this, find another one who will.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD