Pediatrics/green stools

Question
My son is a premature baby, born in the 31st week. He is 2 months old now. For one and a half month, I gave him expressed breast milk. Then shifted him to formula feeding. He has been getting green stools once in 2 days. Motions are irregular. The doctor first gave him Taxim for 5 days  then zofix for another 5 days as the stools were green and very little yellow. Today again the stools were green and i sent it to the lab for testing. The result showed mucus and 6-7 pus cells. My doctor now says to start with zofi 3ml twice. I asked her the reason for this infection and she said that it was due to the formula milk. Does this mean that my son will keep passing green stools till he is on formula milk? He is gaining weight but often cries due to discomfort. CAn you please tell me the reason for my son getting stomach infection and green stools on a regular basis after shifting him to formula milk

Answer
Hi Shubra,

Breast milk is the best milk for the baby, not only for lesser chances of infection, but also scores of other advantages like better weight gain, lesser allergies, better emotional development, and even lesser chances of "lifestyle diseases" like diabetes and hypertension later in life. I would  strongly suggest breastfeeding rather than formula milk. Formula milk is poor second choice.

However, please note that green stools can be NORMAL in babies. I can't say (without examining the baby) whether he has infection and whether he requires any of the medicines. If you have doubts, please take an opinion from another good pediatrician in your area.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar