Pediatrics/High TSH

QUESTION: Respected sir,
my son is 6 months old and his thyroid profile report is as follows (as on 26/10/2012)
FT3 4.31
FT4 1.05
TSH 8.33

Please advise me whether it will become normal with time or some medication is required. Neither his mother nor I am having thyroid problem. please guide us.

with regards

ANSWER: Hi Vivek,

Your son would need the medication. Please consult your pediatrician and start treatment immediately, as any delay would hamper his growth and development.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

when this test was done, he (my son) was suffering from fever and was on medicines from 4 days (medicines : T98, Cefolac, Zemin 20, Bacigyl and Pro-B). Is it possible that test results may not be correct due to medicines? Should I go for repeat test? If yes, after how many days as he is stil taking Zemin 20 upto 02/11/2012. Also, I read on internet that values of TSH and (FT3,FT4) are inversely proportional but in our case FT3 as well as TSH levels are on higher side, so it is not clear to me whether result indicates hyper or hypothyroidism. Please help us with your advice
with regards

Hi Vivek,

All these medicines have no effect on TSH values. There is no need to repeat the tests. Monitoring and repeating the tests would be required after you start the medicine as per the doctor's advice.

Medicine is a complex medicine, more complex than rocket science. Unlike rocket science, medicine is not mathematical. You can try to construct a rocket in your backyard but never try to self-diagnose/ self treat your child or yourself by reading from the net. The more you surf, the more confused (and possibly stressed) you are likely to be.

Your son has hypothyroidism. Please consult your pediatrician, trust him/ her and start treatment as advised. Delay can potentially lead to irreversible damage, as thyroid is a vital hormone for physical growth as well as brain development.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.