Pediatrics/Stunted growth

Question
Hello Dr Olsen,

Ive looked up my growth charts and noticed a huge discrepancy. I was at the 90th percentile for height and fluctuating weight percentiles of 65-80 percentile from birth to 6 years of age. From then on, my height and weight percentile drastically dipped to the 45-50th percentile from 7-12 years of age. From then on, I underwent puberty but never fully recovered my height and weight. I now stand at 174cm (35th percentile) and weigh 65kg (25th percentile) at 18 years of age. I also have been suffering from moderate sleep apnea from young which was deemed not serious enough to treat.

My parents are 5'5 and 6'0 respectively. I wanted to know if the decrease in percentiles is normal and whether my growth had been stunted due to sleep apnea and if there is any chance of catch up growth if I seek treatment for the condition now.

Answer
Hi, Joel,

If you are through puberty, as most 18 year old men are, then you won't grow anymore.  What is wrong with your size?  You are about as big as my 26 year old son, and I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'4".  That's just the way he is.  It is normal to have a decrease in the percentiles and I doubt that the sleep apnea has anything to do with it.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD