Pediatrics/1 month old congestion

Question
Hello my 1 month old baby has nasal congestion. Is there anything you would recommend that would help it go away? His snot is clear. Is it normal for him to be congested at this age?? Also i live on a hill and its very cold around this season. Can that play a part also? He has no cough.

Answer
Hi Sheannae,

Nasal block is common in young infants, especially in cold environment. This is because of small nose ("posterior nares") that gets blocked whenever there is sudden drop in ambient temperatures. Saline nasal drops (3-4 drops in each nostril whenever there is significant nasal block leading to sleep or feeding difficulty) is usually sufficient. Just nasal block (noisy breathing) without any feeding/ sleep difficulty can be ignored.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

+91-9818356846  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar