Pediatrics/10 mo old gags when laid down for bed

Hi Dr.Olson,
For the past couple of nights, if I lay my son down to put hiself to bed he gags on seemingly nothing. But if i lay him down after he's already asleep he's fine.
Today he developed a runny nose so I took the gagging to be the mucus draining in his throat but it seemed strange that it was only at night. Then I thought maybe indigestion?
Im scared to have him sleep in his own bed because of this so he's been in our bed for a week.
I asked his doctor and he said that he's gagging on spit but that didn't seem right because he never did before.
Any idea of what it could be? Should I be concerned about him in his sleep?

Hi, Brittany,

I would wonder if he has some GERD, acid reflux, symptoms.  This can occur at any time in ones life and is more common when one is ill with something like a cold.  Kids this age can vomit and will do fine.  He won't choke to death.  He can handle this well.  

Explore with your doctor this possibility,

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.